Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year 2011 - CNY sticky rice cake



"Kung Hei Fat Choi" ... My belated Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Today is the 5th day into the year of Rabbit. Wishing everyone a great year ahead with lots of luck :)

This is my first entry for the blog; and this is one of my aim for this year: to share my cooking and dining experiences with all of you. O Well ... actually, I started to blog about food a couple of years ago ... unfortunately, my previous blog got abandoned by me after 2 months ... :(

So this year, I promised myself to post regularly and share my good and bad experiences with you all. I don’t know if this blog will ever get to read by anyone, but I will keep it as my little food diary to refresh my not so good memory.


*********************************************************

To share with you all in my first post is my home made “CNY sticky rice cake” – “nian gao”. Is it one of the traditional food we serve in Chinese New Year. It is sweet, sticky and chewy.
Wishing everyone a “sweet” year of Rabbit~

 
Chinese New Year Sticky Rice Cake
 
glutinous rice flour 530g
gluten-free flour 80 g
coconut sugar 200 g
chinese style dark cane sugar 200 g
coconut cream 450 g
water 250 g
chinese dates for decoration

1. In a small heavy base pot, mix2/3 water and the sugar, stir to dissolve in a very low heat. Put aside to cool down and use a fine sieve to remove all residues. You may also replace the coconut sugar and dark cane sugar with chinese rock sugar if you prefer a white cake.
2. Prepare the wok for steaming.
3. Mix the flour with the 1/3 water and coconut cream. Then slowly pour in the sugar syrup and stir at the same time.
4. Pour the batter through a sieve into a greased round cake pan (or a couple of small bowls) and top with chinese date for decoration.
5. Steam the cake over medium-high to high heat for 1.5 hours, or until the edges of the cake pull away from the pan. Remove the cake from the heat and cool.
6. Use a knife to loosen the edges, then remove the cake. Wrap in cling wrap and store in the fridge.
7. To serve: You can serve the cake as is, or reheat it in the microwave or re-steam it for 4 – 5 minutes. You can also pan-fry the cake; and you can also dipping the cake slices in egg wash before frying.



White CNY sticky rice cake

No comments:

Post a Comment